Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas Carol Blog - from Mike Lawler (Marley's Ghost)


I have a Springer Spaniel named Obie. Best Springer Spaniel in the world. She is a humane society dog. I was lucky to get her. She was 1 ½ when I first did Christmas Carol in 1995 (the old version). After some time away from the show Matthew cast me as Jacob Marley in 2005. Now Obie is 15, this is my 5th year of playing Marley, and yesterday was our first day of rehearsal for the 2009 Christmas Carol. I’m so excited. I love this show.
So, I have the night off from rehearsal. And I’m at home sitting at my dining room table trying to write this blog. I’m trying to figure out how to start. I’m sitting, sitting. And I hear Obie, my Springer, making all this noise. I look over and my 15-year-old dog is walking in circles in the middle of my sofa. Making circles around the same cushion on the sofa figuring out where to sit. I’m thinking: “What are you doing”? She keeps circling, circling. She sees me looking at her and her look back says: “What are you looking at- I’ll know it’s right when I find it”.
That was it! I could identify. That made sense! That’s what Christmas Carol rehearsal feels like to me. Once again going back to this story most of us know so well - and looking, poking, pushing, exploring until it is alive and feels right. And it’s a great story (with a great adaptation). I love rehearsal. I love the discovery, the laughter, and the sorrow. I never get tired of it. We have a great cast. Many of us are returning but we have 9 new members this year. Matthew is a fabulous director - I love watching him break down a scene. Alan Ruch’s music is terrific. I’m proud to be a part of this show and thrilled to be back.
I guarantee you this show will be right and feel right on Dec. 12 opening night. If you have seen it before, come again. Your experience of the show will be new. If you haven’t seen it - just come. You’ll believe like we do.
O.K. Obie has had enough of this blog. She wants some attention. Really she wants a walk. So I gotta run. See you at the theatre!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well.. it's like I said!