Monday, October 12, 2009

Through the fish bowl


Actors Theatre at The Herberger. I still can’t believe it. I can remember seeing Angels in America and feeling like I couldn’t even imagine doing a show there. So many incredible actors. Such an amazing set. It had a serious impact on me. I didn’t know who any of the actors were at the time, but I knew that I wanted to be where they were.

I’ve worked with Ron on a few shows before and I was really excited when I was able to audition for this show. I was even more excited when I was able to read with Kerry McCue at auditions. She’s the type of actor who is not concerned with boundaries. She’s willing to take risks and have fun in auditions to make sure she gets the part. When we read together, it felt right. We got into a rhythm and it was a lot of fun. Shortly after callbacks, we got our offers and I was insane with anticipation. I love being directed by Ron, I loved seeing Kerry in everything she’s done, and to top it all off, Cathy Dresbach was cast in the show; one of the actors I admired so much from Angels in America. I was cast in my first professional show with a team and in a company that I have admired for years.

We recently had our First Rehearsal Party and performed the first part of Boom out on the stage. It was an incredible night for me; on stage in the Herberger. I’m so proud to be here with these people and working around these designers, but no one is prouder than my mom. She called me the other day to say that she was reading an article in the paper and saw “the H word” and started to cry with pride. The H word? It took me a second to realize that she meant Herberger. It may seem silly, but she knows how much it means to me and because of that, it means a lot to her. She’s going to be there crying all the way through a comedy on opening night, and I just may have to cry a little bit too.
- by Sam Wilkes

1 comment:

Rusty Ferracane said...

The Herberger is certainly one of the gems of our theatre community. Enjoy your ride Sam! I'm looking forward to seeing the show.