Monday, September 21, 2009

100% + 10


Hugh Butternut, the character I play in Triple Espresso, has been alive for about 14 years, and I have let him out of his cage about 3,000 times to entertain audiences all over the world.

The number one question I get is “How do you keep from getting bored? How do you do a show that many times? Are you insane?” I know, that’s three questions, but they all have the same point. What’s the secret?

Take a moment and imagine with me. Let’s say you got together with a few friends over breakfast, and you decided to start an adventure together. Let’s say you, oh I don’t know, wrote a comedy play. Imagine people spending their hard-earned cash to see it, laughing big and telling their friends. Then suppose you’re an actor and you have steady work for over a decade, all because you and your friends had this idea.

You might just be grateful enough to give 110% every night for every audience.

I have had my share of setbacks in life, including 2 bouts of cancer, and so I know how to spot a blessing. God somehow chose this little show to help people feel better. And all I can be is grateful.

And that gratitude extends to Actor’s Theatre, who have chosen to bring us back to blow some cool Minnesota laughter into the Phoenix desert. So I’ll be there every night, letting Hugh out of his cage, giving 110 percent.

- Michael Pearce Donley of Triple Espresso

No comments: